Bouncy houses are the popular addition to any backyard birthday party. While parents enjoy long casual conversations with friends and family, their kids can run wild in their sugar rush and play in the loads of fun. Parents put so much trust in the companies they rent these attractions from, so much, that they hardly ever think twice about what could be lurking between the cracks.
Brenda Sanderson spent one weekend enjoying a graduation party with her two sons. The party included plenty of family, friends and even a bouncy house for the kids to play in. Her boys were having a great time wrestling, jumping and sliding down the slide. Nothing seemed unusual until two days later, when she noticed marks on her ten-year-old’s body.
“What is that from?” she asked. “Well Mommy, I think it’s from sliding around and bouncing around the bouncy house. I think I just got burned from the plastic.” But that’s not what happened.
Days later when Brenda noticed the sores spreading all over his body, she took him to the doctors only to discover the sores were actually a staph infection, caused by bacteria from the bouncy house. Similar to the mats used for wrestling, it’s easy for bacteria to stick onto the plastic of the fun birthday attractions, especially when it’s not washed and cleansed properly.
Although bouncy houses are inspected by the state, it is advised to double check if they are functioning properly and of course, if they are clean. Doctors say that if it’s not clean, any open cut would be at risk.
Please SHARE with others.