9-Year-Old Girl’s Cell Phone Case Caused Severe Chemical Burns

9-Year-Old Girl’s Cell Phone Case Caused Severe Chemical Burns

Angela Markus

A mother has posted a warning on Facebook about a cell phone case that has scarred her 9-year-old daughter’s skin for life.

The young girl suffered third-degree burns on her leg after the glittery case she used to protect her iPhone reportedly cracked and leaked onto her skin.

Karly Retter posted a photo of the cell phone case and her daughter Olivia’s leg on the social networking site to serve as a warning to others. In an interview with The Telegraph, Karly said, “Doctors have said it is a severe chemical burn, and she will be scarred for life. I can’t believe it, she will have a scar in the shape of a phone on her leg.”

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 10.24.12 AM


Retter told the news outlet that her daughter fell asleep with her phone next to her and woke up with a painful red burn. Apparently, toxic pink glitter from Olivia Retter’s phone case leaked onto her leg, leaving her with an angry mar in the shape of her iPhone 5c.

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 10.23.49 AM


Olivia and her mom bought the accessory which was decorated with unicorns and rainbows for less than $10. Although there was no visible crack or break, a clear liquid leaked and branded her.

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 10.25.09 AM


Mom said, “There wasn’t a safety warning or anything at all on the case itself, nothing which warns you what was inside is a chemical which can cause serious burns.” She continued, “Imagine if it had leaked when Olivia was on the phone or holding it to her face, it could have gone on her face or her eyes.”

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 10.26.32 AM


That would have been terrible!

SHARE the love, pass it on.


Recommended Joy