Brianna Radar had a happy, healthy 4-year-old son. He was curious and outgoing, just like most other little boys, but always abided by his mother’s safety regulations. That’s why Brianna was blindsided when she found her son in complete danger after playing in the kitchen one afternoon.
While exploring the kitchen alone, Matthew Radar came upon the spice rack, got ahold of the container of cinnamon power and put some in his mouth. Within seconds, he began choking and when Brianna found him she said it was like he was having a seizure. He immediately collapsed and was rushed to the hospital. An hour and a half later, little Matthew was pronounced dead. Coroners called his death accidental, since cinnamon can cause asphyxiation when inhaled.
Now, Brianna wants to share her tragic story with others. It’s a kitchen hazard very few people know about, and all people, especially those participating in the Cinnamon Challenge, should be aware of.
The Cinnamon Challenge is a viral internet food challenge where someone is filmed swallowing a spoonful of ground cinnamon in under 60 seconds without drinking any water. Videos have gone viral throughout social media of people tormenting their bodies. Many people who have participated in this challenge experience coughing, gagging, breathing difficulties and for some, the collapsing of the lungs.
But Brianna Radar warns, it’s more serious than most people think. “[People] don’t think about the fact that it can hurt them.”
Parents, please don’t let this simple mistake happen to you and your family. Please, SHARE this knowledge with everyone you know. It could save a life or two.