Nutella is one of my favorite things in the world. That delicious hazelnut spread is perfect for any meal or snack at any time of day. However, I’ve never heard of something like this happening with it and it’s going to help me remember to ALWAYS take out my trash!
London resident Declan Murphy will surely never make that mistake again. He had left an empty Nutella jar in the window of his home for his daughter so she could store rubber band bracelets. However, when the sun hit the jar, it started to heat the rubber bands and the jar. The heat caught the blinds on fire and the fire quickly ripped through the home.
“It sounds far fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire but that’s exactly what happened,” Charlie Pugsley of the brigade’s fire investigation unit said.
Luckily, the family was at an engagement party when the fire struck so they were out of the house. Unfortunately they lost their family dog, a Jack Russell terrier named Chili, in the fire.
Murphy gave a statement about the fire. “We’re all heartbroken at Chili’s death and we’ve been told it will be up to a year before the house is ready for us to move back into. I want to ensure other people are aware of the dangers and know to keep glass items away from windows and out of direct sunlight so they don’t have to go through anything like this.”
PLEASE SHARE this with your friends to prevent further fires from happening!